One thing lead to another, I started with a 3 km brisk walk at the park and continued with easy hikes at some local trails then a friend invited me to join him for a half-day hike at Gunung Angsi in Negeri Sembilan. I told Nazirah (my young walking aka hiking buddy) “Wow! we are advancing to the next level Naz. Hiking a real gunung aka mountain now. I know that it will be tough compared to our usual short trails but I said yes to the friend, we gotta do this!”.
- Location: Gunung Angsi is located in Negeri Sembilan (824 m/ 2707 ft)
- How to go: Waze for Bukit Putus (Gunung Angsi Trailhead) for Bukit Putus hiking route
- Attraction: A half-day hike friendly trail with some beautiful accending and decending trails
- Difficulty: Easy to moderate hike, for casual or fit beginner hiker
- Distance out and back: 9 km
- Estimated time spent: 1.5 to 2 hours hike up and another 1.5 hours down
- Tips: This place is very crowded during weekends/ public holidays. The best time to enjoy this place is on weekdays.
- Leech level: None
- Entrance Fee: RM5 per person
Gunung Angsi, December 15, 2021
Gunung Angsi is located in a middle of a reserve forest near Kuala Pilah town, 62 km from my USJ home. What I like about the trail is that it is properly marked and easy to follow, In Sha Allah, you would not get off track easily.
The view along the 9 km journey is filled with tall and bulky trees with the roots randomly popped out onto the surface, a nice landscape view to look at. If you are lucky, you might stumble into a group of chatty monkeys or birds, gossiping loudly on one of the high branches.
What did I pack in my bag for this short day trip?
- Food for energy: 2 apples, a bar of Sneakers and a small pack of Nasi Lemak
- 1 litter of water
- A walking stick
- A small towel to dry off my sweat
- A good hiking shoe
- A fully charged handphone with the Komoot App installed
- A small camera
To be honest hiking Gunung Angsi is fun but the 9 km stretch is a significant muscle challenge for a beginner or for those who have not been out hiking for a while. An enjoyable hiking experience requires a good body balance and muscle strength to avoid injury.
Here are some tips to get your body prepared for a day hike.
- Walk two or three times during the week. Make sure to move briskly enough to get your heart pumped up, and then keep it up for at least 30 minutes.
- Be sure to wear the same shoes that you will be wearing on your hike.
- Carry a lightly-weighted daypack on your weekday walks. That way, you will make sure you are prepared for the extra weight of your essential gear.
My hiking experience
It took us around 5 hours to complete the Gunung Angsi trail. The hike ended just at the right time for a quick lunch at the nearby Kuala Pilah town. We were starving for extra energy, our Masak Lemak Ayam Salai and Masak Lemak Daging Salai lunch dishes never tasted so good.
We decide to stop at Kuala Pilah bus station for a quick Mamak cendol fix too, the closing to our hiking trip for this time around.
I highly recommend this place for a family day outing. Start your hike early in the morning, spend 5 hours on the trail then head off for lunch at the nearby town before heading home. Another well-spent day for me doing something that I like.
Have you tried hiking the Gunung Angsi trail before? I would love to hear your story, please do share your experience with me.
Until the next hike … stay safe dear readers.